Splinters & God
I'm diverting from the regular craft post to share with you a touching moment I had at work today. As some of you know, I'm a Teacher's Aide at a local high school. Today I was in Scripture with a year 7 class. The Scripture teacher, Scott, is a very passionate, down-to-earth, young surfie and he said some things today which really moved me. I am a Muslim and I think it doesn't matter which higher power you pray to, the message in this story applies to everyone.
Scott prays to God every morning and asks Him how he can show his students how much God loves them all. This morning he did the same thing and as he held his hand up, he saw a splinter. He then realised how significant that splinter was. He shared with the class, whilst on his knees in the middle of the group, that splinters are like hurtful words that people say to all of us. They get stuck under our skin and they hurt. Sometimes we forget about the splinters and they get infected. Just like how in life, we forget about those hurtful words until an experience reminds us of them.
The splinters hurt us and cause us much pain. Similarly, the constant put-downs, criticisms and insults festers in our minds and we slowly start believing them. We get depressed and think that we are just not good enough for anyone to love us. This pain, like the splinters, will continue to hurt us until they're removed.
He then invited students who share this pain to kneel down with him and pray to God together. He said, "God, I give you this pain! Take these words that hurt me! Show me how much I am really worth. Show me how much you really love me. Show me how much I deserve to be loved..."
I was deeply moved. I thought that his analogy of the splinters and the criticisms was just spot on. I never thought of it that way and then to release them to God, to surrender it to him, was just so... simple. Psychology books tell me to replace negative thoughts with positive ones. Others say to forgive the people that have hurt me. It felt like a big weight on my shoulders as I struggle to shift my mind into a happier place.
Instead, I was enlightened today by simply saying, "God, I give you this pain! Show me how much I am really worth." I invite you to do the same.

5 comments:
Yes words can make or break a person. I was recently broken by cruel words and deeds thrown my way, but I chose to forgive them and give my pain up to God, everyday. Mine was a knife on my back, the knife is out but it left a gaping bleeding wound. The pain lingers on, the memories are still fresh on my mind, but I do give it up on a daily basis and choose to bless them instead, after all God loves them as much as He loves me.
Have a good Blessed day,
S
I am touched that you are sharing your feelings so publicly. I pray that your wounds will heal and the memories fade. Have a peaceful weekend, S.
Thank YOU for yr kind words. Appreciate it.
Care to join us at http://www.kitchencapers.net/phpbb/index.php
Mostly are singaporeans and or singaporeans living in foreign countries.
I am there for the bread and cake recipes.
S
Oh I'm definitely interested in sharing recipes. I'll have a good look soon. Thanks for the link!
wow, Salihan, that was just beautiful...brought tears to my eyes.
Post a Comment