Sunday, 3 August 2008

What's Cooking

I've been busy and tired. Richard started a new job and is coming home much later than normal. Hence, I have to prepare dinner by myself (almost) everyday. We're both still getting used to the routine of commuting to work. On top of that, Richard's brother was in a car accident - more like he was hit by a BMW when riding his push bike to work! He'll be out of hospital tomorrow after FOUR surgeries in TWO weeks. Poor boy. Then, the computer stopped working and Richard's been too tired to reinstall Windows any earlier. Anddd on top of ALL that, I caught the flu. I've been slothing out on the sofa for the last two days now. I feel much better today and using my last few working brain cells to post this.

Chicken Jambalaya
Chicken Jambalaya
It was very simple to make and delicious! I will definitely make this again. However, I found it not as nice the next day. So eat on same day if possible.
Recipe

Spinach & Ricotta Lasagna
Spinach & Ricotta Lasagna
Delicious but the ricotta cheese and white sauce can be a bit sickly. Serve in very small portions and with salad. A definite keeper. I wish I could share this recipe with you but it's from Australian Good Taste (Aug '07) magazine.

Cheesy Potato Bake
Cheesy Potato Bake
I half cooked frozen spinach, squeezed all the water out and layered it on top of the potatoes. It was sooo filling and despite looking overly cheesy, I don't think it was. I will definitely make this again. Mmmm... Just the thought of it makes me lust for more.
Recipe

Apple Oat Bar
Apple Oat Bar
Not a fan of the nuts at the top and the soft texture but it was a hit with Richard. He preferred it to the No Bake Chocolate Oat Bar as he found the peanut butter too sickening after a couple of days. But since I don't really like it, I'm not likely to make this again. Sorry love. :P
Recipe

Low Sugar Low Fat Muesli Bar
Low Sugar Low Fat Muesli Bar
The hunt for the perfect muesli bar is over. I'm sticking to this recipe and making variations to this from now on. I added chocolate chips to this batch. The only small change I will make next time is to simmer the oats and weetbix in the orange syrup for a few minutes to soak in all the flavours. Two thumbs up!
Recipe

Orange Cordial
Orange Cordial
Cordial never tasted this good! I cannot recommend this enough. I used freshly squeezed oranges and added orange zest too. Absolutely beauuutifull! The last few days I warmed the made up cordial and added honey to it. Sore throat no more! Didn't even need lozenges!
Recipe

Drive safely people and stay at home if you're sick. Have a good week!

8 comments:

Mike Tan said...

Wah-ah-ah... I'm hungry! You can open a little cafe with all this food down here! How? Remember the idea I had for you? A knitting cafe. You can name it " The Cafe by the corner". Yummy! Hehe.

Salihan said...

Haha! I'll bear that in mind, Mike!

teresa fsw said...

Oh dear me! I hope Richard's brother recuperate well! You've got to take good care of yourself and get as much rest as possible. The muesli looks really good! ^_^

Anonymous said...

Awww. Wishing you and yr BIL a speedy recovery. For flu you got to really rest alot.
Nighty nite,

Salihan said...

Thanks Teresa and Sandra. I'm taking today off too so that makes it 4 days of rest. Hopefully I can be back at work tomorrow or Wednesday. Have a good week!

Oiyi said...

Omg, all of it looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Hey Han, the food looks super yummy. i'm stuck at my desk, too busy to move and too lazy to go get food and now my tummy's grumbling looking at your creations! i seriously must find time to start cooking. Will try your recipes and tell you how they turn out.

Salihan said...

Hehe... I've also been very lazy. Haven't really cooked a proper meal since Hari Raya. Must get back to cooking and eating healthy again. It must be hard for you to find time with 2 girls and a full time job! Let me know if you try any of the recipes. :)